Friday, November 10, 2017

Identifying Sentences, Fragments, and Run-ons OH My!




We've been busy writing our memoirs in class lately and I'm almost bald from pulling my hair out!  As much as I go over proper sentences, they just don't seem to put it into practice.  Are they messing with me?!

I taught a mini-lesson and it went crazy well. (Where's the surprise observation when you need it?  Am I right?)  I thought I had seen the last of fragments and run-ons, but alas when we went back to editing, there they were mocking me.


I decided that my kiddos needed something else.  I thought maybe they're not making the connection between identifying wrong sentences in isolation and editing their own work.  So I tried a little experiment.  I made task cards for them.


My kids freaking love when I make stuff for the classroom!  They think it's a superpower or something.  I swear!  So needless to say, when I make something for them, they USE IT.  This task card set was no different.  They got their hands on it and made their little groups and got right to work.  (I looked on proudly with teary eyes.)

I'll tell you what I heard in the cooperative group.  I heard kids helping each other.  I heard them being kind when someone got a wrong answer.  I even heard them explaining why it was wrong.  Gasp!  They did know!

After their little game, I gave them time to go back into their writing.  Guess what?!  They showed improvement!  Not perfection but a huge improvement.  Their fragment sentences were fixed and their run-ons were reduced.  My heart grew three sizes that day.


Kiddos collaborating.


Self-check.




They even ordered the cards for me before putting them back!



I can't begin to tell you how paranoid I am that maybe, just maybe, I have a few run-on sentences here making me a complete hypocrite or fraud.   Meh. 



No comments:

Post a Comment